Friday, January 18, 2013

Meeting of December 3, 2012

The meeting was called to order by president John Landrigan at 7:35 PM. Present were Jane Darby, John Landrigan, Vesta Smith, Mike Marshall, Susan Lewis, Elaine Woodside, and librarian Anne Ballam.

Minutes of 11/5/12 were reviewed and approved.

New Business 
Elaine Woodside was welcomed to board of trustees.

Old Business 
HHS storage 
A Statement of Understanding between the HLA and the HHS was presented. The HHS has offered to pay rent for the use of the room for the storage of materials. They would also be using the front room less and less in the future as they organize them and put them into the vault room. There are some materials going to Ladd Street. The library would benefit from this in that we would get storage, shelves and rent.

The SOU will be modified to stipulate that the library is in charge of the room. We will vote on this by email by end of month.

Approval of Budget 
Two versions presented. One version has the rental from the HHS included if we choose to accept that. We still need to come up with new fundraising ideas.

We may want to think about a fundraising activity during the 250th celebration. 5/18 Founders Day may be an opportunity we can take advantage of for a fundraising activity. Dress in costume as a character from the town.

The preliminary budget was approved. John wants to be able to write a letter to Glenn English.

Librarians' Report 
Thanks to Mike for taking the recycling. There is a patron who wants to take the typewriters that are not being used.

The shelves still need to be put in for the audio books.

The librarians would also like to thank the Currier boys and Shane for their help around the library.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:26 PM. The next meeting will be January 7, 2013.

Meeting of November 5, 2012

The meeting was called to order by president John Landrigan at 7:30 PM. Present were Jane Darby, John Landrigan, Ken Smith, Mike Marshall, and Susan Lewis, trustees and Nanci Myers and Anne Ballam librarians. The minutes of August 6, August 27 and October 10 were reviewed and approved.

Old Business 
Russ Wilcox has finished the work on the building but has not sent a bill. Ken will look at the work to make sure that it is done adequately.

It was also noticed that in the back room of the children's side that the mortar between the granite ceiling blocks is disintegrating and making dust that falls on the books. We will be getting a quote to fix the problem from Russ Wilcox.

NHPA Tour 
There was an impromptu tour while they while they were visiting Pearson Hall.

Librarians’ Report 
HHS Storage 
A storage consultant is coming in to figure out the best way to use the space in the vault room. The librarians have concerns about the amount of items that are coming over to be stored and the amount of time they will be stored. There are items in the vault room that the librarians would like time to go through before somebody moves them. A shelf along the wall in the outside room was discussed as a solution. Ken will ask for quotes from local carpenters. The historical society will be confined to the vault room.

Thanksgiving Weekend 
Both Nanci and Anne will be gone during the weekend following Thanksgiving. It was decided that as long as it was posted far enough in advance it would be okay to close the library if someone could not be found to cover.

Other Concerns 
There is a need for more shelves for the audio books on the adult side of the library.

A teacher from the Oliverian School would like to start a Young Adult Book Club and have the meetings at the library.

The Interlibrary Loan system was down for an extended time due to Hurricane Sandy. They had taken it down and were not able to bring it back up after the storm had passed.

On Halloween the library had 25 trick or treaters.

Financial Report 
There was a bequest from Lynn Bandy’s mother of $1,000.

Final payment from the town and the Mildred Page Bequest.

New Business 
2013 Draft Budget- We will put in an increase for funding from both the town and the precinct.

We need alternate funding sources.

We are paying TASCO security and are not sure if the alarm is actually working. We would like to have them come and check the system. Both Mike and Nanci should be here for that.

John will go the DC furniture sale to see if there is anything there we could use.

The holiday basket raffle will not happen as we ran out of time to get it together.

John invited a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:56PM.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Meeting of October 10, 2012

The meeting was called to order by president John Landrigan at 7:34 PM. Present were Jane Darby, John Landrigan, and Vesta Smith, trustees, and Nanci Myers and Anne Ballam, librarians. John noted two discussion items not on the agenda: board development and fund-raising ideas. The minutes of the August 27 meeting were reviewed but not approved, lacking a quorum.

Ken has rebuilt the front walk and has taken down the growth in the back yard. These were big jobs for which he should be properly acknowledged. Perhaps we will put up a sign in the foyer as we did to thank Mike Welch for this work on the floors. The new walkway has drawn considerable comment and praise. Russ Wilcox is continuing with the brickwork on the west façade. In addition, on his own initiative, he spent quite a bit of time helping Ken with the walkway and the brush clearing.

Meanwhile, Nanci reported a new issue. As a result of the water problems in the east vault room earlier in the year, water has seeped into the masonry in the first floor ceiling, and dust is falling into the children’s section. Russ Wilcox had a look and said that, while there is no pressing danger, this will continue to happen until the ceiling is redone. Nanci will talk with Russ about submitting a bid for this work.

Financial Report 
John reviewed the financial report, noting that with the completion of the third quarter, he has added the column of percentages to show how we stand going into the final quarter of the year. Nanci and Anne asked about the book budget; they are slightly ahead of budget not greatly so. John will be preparing a draft of the 2013 budget for review at the November meeting. He asked that all trustees be thinking of ideas for new fund-raisers for the coming year.

Librarians’ Reports 
Nanci reported that the adult side has been “super busy” this summer, and that she has signed up 24 new patrons since May. She notes that she is still in need of the shelves that she has discussed, and she has been moving books around in anticipation of new shelving. She will await Mike’s return to the area, since he thought he’d be able to assist there. The annual visit by the middle school students is scheduled for Friday, October 5. Anne reports that she had nine regular participants in the Summer Reading Program, plus some other occasionals. Thanks are especially owed to the Pike Store, which donated coupons for free individual pizzas.

Fundraising/Programming Book Sale: the book sale took in $539 on the 22nd and about $50 has come in since; combined with some earlier book sale income, we have now exceeded our projected income in this area. Nanci reported one patron comment that the sale could have been better publicized. Publicity and other ideas for next year include: announcement on the town listserv; listing on the sign in front of the town offices; cross-promotion with the other libraries; offering ancillary events such as face-painting for kids; ask Alumni Hall about scheduling a concurrent event.

Event Space: Discussion of Nessa Flax’s offer to do a program led to a discussion of our lack of programming space. Now that the growth in the back yard has been cut down, there may be an opportunity to create a summer event space there, perhaps with benches, an awning that would stay up for the season, even a brick-paved area. Nanci is already in discussions with the prison work program about another project, and she will inquire about having the program help us create an event space out back.

Fall Events: John noted that the writing workshops will begin this Saturday (Oct 6), that the fall book discussion series will begin Oct 8, and that there will be another installment of the Book Club for Writers discussions on Oct 25.

New Business 
NHLTA: John reported on the open discussion sponsored by the New Hampshire Library Trustees Association and hosted by the library in Warren.

Banned Books Week: Nanci noted that she has a display planned.

Board Development: The board identified three candidates to approach with the suggestion that they would start in January.

Mystery Date: Nanci described a new program she is considering, Mystery Date with a Book. Patrons are presented with a selection of books wrapped in plain paper and invited to borrow one to read.

Holidays: Nanci would like to hold a raffle for a holiday gift basket as a fund-raiser. It would be displayed some 3-4 weeks prior to the drawing, and would feature high value gifts. Nanci and Anne will develop a list and will seek suggestions from trustees; we will ask trustees to donate the items for the basket. Vesta reminded us that we need a permit from the town to conduct a raffle.

The next meeting will be held Monday, November 5.

Minutes of August 27, 2012

The meeting was called to order by president John Landrigan at 7:35 PM. Present were Landrigan, Mike Marshall, and Vesta Smith, trustees. The minutes of the August 6 meeting were reviewed but not approved, lacking a quorum.

John noted that the brickwork on the west façade is now underway, and that Ken still intends to repair the front walk, but has not yet set a date.

Financial Report 
John reviewed the financial report, noting that it does not reflect the August salaries for the librarians due to our early meeting date. He also noted the contributions received so far in response to the annual appeal.

Book Sale: the book sale is scheduled for Saturday, September 22. The trustees will visit the library as they have time available before the sale to work on sorting the books. We will again seek to borrow the Ed and Anne’s tent. Mike will check with the guy who took our left over books last year and see if he will do so again this year. Nanci has arranged to have the Currier brothers help move books on the day of the sale.

NHLTA: John mentioned the open discussion scheduled by the New Hampshire Library Trustees Association, which will be hosted by the library in Warren. He plans to attend.

Writing Workshop: John reviewed his revised plan to offer three half-day fiction writing workshops in the fall.

New Business 
Tasco Alarm System: Mike reported his experience with the alarm system that brought out an emergency response team. John will consult Ed Ballam about the alarm. Banned Books Week: John noted as an FYI that Banned Books Week is coming up at the end of September. This is an annual program organized by the American Library Association.

The next meeting will be held Monday, October 1.

Minutes of August 6, 2012

The meeting was called to order by president John Landrigan at 7:30 PM. Present were John Landrigan, Mike Marshall, Susan Lewis, and Vesta Smith, trustees. Susan Brown was also present to explain the Founders Day plans to the trustees.

250th Anniversary Celebration 
Susan Brown explained the plans as they stand now for the Newbury/Haverhill 250th Anniversary Celebration taking place next year. There is a sponsors book that can be pre-purchased that will contain pictures of homes in the area. The book will be available November 1, 2012.

December 31, 2012 is the kick-off ball for the year-long celebration.

Founders Day will take place May 18, 2013. There will be activities in the Clifford Building from 10-12 in Woodsville, NH. At 2 pm the Charters will be read on the commons of both Newbury and Haverhill. There will be crafts and vendors set up at the commons, and if the library would like to do something the offer is there. At 3 pm the committee would like the school to plan a program about the town.

New Business 
The Historical Society has requested the use of the library’s storage space until the work in Pearson Hall is complete. They will bring in a storage consultant who will help organize the space efficiently. The trustees voted to allow the Historical Society to use the vault. The trustees who are also members of the Historical Society abstained from voting. It was brought up that that the HLA is not responsible for damage due to fire, water, humidity, and theft.

Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the June 4 meeting were approved as presented.

VHS tape donations were discussed. The condition of many of the tapes is poor and we are essentially just throwing them away. A discussion followed about whether we should discourage the donation of VHS tapes or if we should just take them and along with the other things people also donate. It was decided to leave it the way it is.

Progressive Dinner 
The last word on the dinner was that it had been cancelled. We are awaiting final word on this.

Russ Wilcox: has not come yet, was supposed to be here is July. Ken will call him.

Walkway: The bricks need to be lifted and new sand needs to be brought in. We can fill in where the puddle forms near the road. We can set up a day when Ken can do this with help from other trustees.

Backlot: Scrape top layer off -- should be done in either spring or fall.

Financial Reports
The bill for the roof repairs has been paid. The annual appeal has come in which brought in $2,000.

Fundraising/ Programming 
John will be working on a Thank You Letter which will be sent shortly for the annual appeal. The Byrne Foundation matching funds grant that we were approved for last year were discussed and John said he would work on a letter to send out for that.

Nessa Flax, a local author wants to offer a program at the library. The trustees approved of this.

John is working on getting another writing workshop together this year.

There will be a fall book sale as well. A date to be determined with input from the librarians.

The trustees received a letter requesting information. The information requested was sent previously or will be shortly.

Adding Documents/Procedures to Website 
A discussion about putting information on the HLA’s website followed. It was decided unanimously to put the HLA’s policies and procedures on the website but not the minutes from 2009.

Librarians’ Report 
There was no librarians’ report as Anne was on vacation.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Minutes of June 4, 2012

The meeting was called to order by president John Landrigan at 7:30 PM. Present were Jane Darby, Landrigan, Mike Marshall, and Vesta Smith, trustees. The minutes of the May 7 meeting were approved as presented.

Old Business
SB214: John reported that the New Hampshire Senate concurred with the amended version of the bill that was passed by the House, and it was subsequently signed by the governor on May 29. Under the terms of the bill, it will now go into effect on July 28. Mike suggested that a copy of the final bill should be provided to the librarians for reference.

Roof work: John reported that the initial payment has been made on the repairs to the slate roof, and that the company has projected a start date of early June. It appears that it will not be possible to re-use the slate from another job as the company had at one time hoped.

Property Map: At the May meeting, John had promised to ask Jim Alexander for a copy of a property map for Haverhill Corner, and John now reported that Jim had supplied this map and John has shared it with Ken. The map was wanted in connection with Ken’s plan of removing the brush behind the library with his grading equipment; the concern was whether there is anything just under the surface that might be damaged. Unfortunately, though the map shows the property line clearly, it does not seem to indicate what might be buried.

Financial Report
John noted that the May financial report indicates that we are currently about $10K behind for the year, as compared to about $5K behind at this time last year. The two primary reasons for this difference are: 1) the annual appeal has not yet been sent and the resulting income therefore not yet received; 2) this figure includes the substantial down payment for the roof work, though in fact that will be covered by the special building funds carried over from last year. The library regularly shows an operating deficit in May because we do not receive the second quarterly payments from the town and the Mildred Page Fund until June. The contribution from the Haverhill Corner Precinct, however, has been received. Although our finances are in keeping with previous years, John reminded the board that we are still looking at a difficult year since the contributions from both the town and the precinct will be less than projected.

Librarians’ Report
The librarians sent word that they will provide a two-month report at the next meeting.

Annual Appeal: John noted that he has failed to get the appeal mailing done on its usual schedule this year, but he arrived at the meeting with the elements completed, and the trustees present prepared the mailing during the course of the meeting.

General Fitz John Porter Program: The trustees had previously agreed to co-sponsor this program with the Haverhill Historical Society, since it is based on a book and will include a booksigning, and John announced that it is now scheduled for Thursday, June 14. Our co-sponsorship primarily involves helping to publicize the event, and to this end, John has announced it in the appeal letter and will put it on the library’s web site.

Shakespeare Discussion: John announced that he will hold a discussion of “The Taming of the Shrew” a week before the first performance at Alumni Hall by the Shakespeare Under the Stars troupe. The trustees expressed pleasure at the opportunity to support our neighbor organization in a small way.

Strawberry Festival: The trustees had previously agreed that the library would once again participate in the church’s annual Strawberry Festival, and John reminded everyone that it will be held on June 30.

Writing Workshops: Driven by the need to write the appeal letter, John has set dates for three half-day fiction writing workshops to be held in late July and early August. These will be fund-raisers for the library, and will experiment with a new format, compared to the six-week workshops we have run in the past.

Fall Festival: At one point, the trustees had considered the possibility of assuming responsibility for the Autumn Festival, in order to create an opportunity for another pig roast or some other fund-raiser. No progress had been made on this, however, and John felt it was time to close the loop on the discussion. The board decided that, at this point, it is not feasible to assume responsibility for this event.

New Business 
Haverhill Historical Society Request: The Historical Society has requested permission to hold the dessert portion of its annual Progressive Dinner at the library. The plan for the dinner is to focus on former Grafton County buildings in Haverhill Corner, including the former jail, the courthouse (Alumni Hall), and the records office (the library). The dinner is tentatively scheduled for October 27. The board agreed to grant permission to use the library, but expressed concerns involving capacity/crowding, seating, and access to the second floor. John was directed to share these concerns with the Society.

The meeting concluded with the completion of work on the annual appeal mailing.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Minutes of May 7, 2012

The monthly meeting of the Haverhill Library Association was held at the library and called to order by Board of Trustees Chairman John Landrigan at 7:35 P.M. on May 7, 2012. Present were Trustees John Landrigan, Vesta Smith, Susan Lewis, Mike Marshall, Ken Frank and Jane Darby.

Minutes of the March 5th and April 2nd monthly meeting were approved.

SB 214 Report: Amended version passed the house. There was no word when the senate will take up the legislation. John will keep looking at the state website to see the progress. The lawyer fee for the consultation was $100.

Records Management Policy: The policy reflects what is currently being done. Policy was approved by the board.

Building: Weather Check is the company doing the roof. They will be beginning work soon. There is a possibility of using slate from another job they are doing. That would reduce our cost. The brick work needs to be finished on the other end of the library building. We will be calling him to see when that work will be finished. The mess in the back of the library will be cleaned up. Ken has offered to scrape the weeds off and spread some seed in back of the building. The location of the property line was discussed and it was decided to ask Jim Alexander if he knew exactly where it is located. The condition of the front walkway was discussed. Ken said it would take a day to tear p the brick and lay down a new walkway that is flat and safer for the patrons. There will be an email asking for volunteer help when he is ready to do the work.

Financial Report: The town income came in. There were 2 unbudgeted items that were paid. One was the update to the Intuit Software and Lawyer fees.

Librarian Report: A young man has inquired about the job. It was decided to award him the mowing job as the other person who mowed last year has not asked about it. Charter has offered to carry both phone and internet. We will compare prices and service to see if it is worth it. $150 has been donated to purchase a table for the children’s side of the library. Nanci and Anne are researching to find a table that would be suitable for our unique space. The rest of the cost would need to be raised through fundraising. Volunteer efforts were noted. Vesta will send a Thank-You note to Carolyn Danielson for weeding the flower beds.

Fundraising/ Programming: Dave Major gave a 40% discount for books purchased at the Jane Cleland author tea. There will be an all day writing workshop program this summer.

Annual Appeal Mailing: John will forward the list. Look at list to find people who should be on list actually are. We send this out soon.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:27 P.M. The next regular meeting will be held at the library at 7:30 P.M. on June 4, 2012.

Respectfully submitted,
Susan Lewis