Thursday, September 2, 2010

Minutes of August 2, 2010

Haverhill Library Association
Minutes of 8/02/2010

The Haverhill Library Association Board met on Monday, August 8, 2010,at 7:30 PM. Present were John Landrigan, Keesha Luce, Kathy Schiffmann, Jane Darby, Mike Marshall, Nanci Meyers, Anne Ballam, and Vesta Smith.
John Landrigan, President, opened the meeting. Vesta moved that the nomination of Mike Marshall as a member of the Board be accepted, seconded and passed, and John welcomed him.

Minutes of the July meeting were approved with the correction that August 3 is a Tuesday.

Keesha Luce, director of Alumni Hall, was introduced and spoke about two specific programs that might benefit both organizations. First item was the question of signage, both at Rte. 10, for directional, and in a spot between the two buildings, for information on programs. Mike will check with the selectmen for information on placement of signs, and state right-of-way, as well as with the commissioners of Haverhill Corner about requirements for signs.
The second item was the possibility of joint programs, and the availability of grants, perhaps through Granite State Reads. A return of the Little Red Wagon was suggested as a possibility.

Old business:
The hall floor is almost refinished, and John will work with Kerri on a suitable note of thanks to Mike for his donation of time and talent. Nanci will take a picture of the thankyou sign, perhaps for publication and as a souvenir for him.
The minutes of the meetings for this year are on the website, and John will send the URL to board members, so that they can log on.
The library's new email address is:

Librarians had no official reports. Jane will contact Glen Libby about the possibility of the work crew from the Count Jail to paint the stairs.

The financial report was distributed. We are just about on target at the halfway point of the year.

John has been sending out acknowledgements for donations to the Annual Appeal.
There are 17 people on the discussion list to date.
The Mystery Tea will take place Aug. 3 at 5:30. Vesta and Jane will be on hand to help in the afternoon, and Anne and Nanci will help set up in the AM. There are 18 signed up for the event.
The author luncheon will not take place in August, because of scheduling, but perhaps in October.
The pig roast at the Autumn Festival will be offered at $10 a plate, with potato salad and coleslaw and buns, with the final menu to be decided by Ken Frank. The two picnic table will be available for seating, from 11 AM on, although the timing of the 9/11 ceremony, will influence the starting hour.
John will compose a letter to Shaw's requesting donations of plates, cups, napkins, and plastic utensils, and Nanci will take it to Shaw's.

Meeting adjourned at 8:45.

Vesta Smith, pro tem